Friday, May 1, 2009

April 2009


The woman who normally sends us updates contracted Hepatitis A and had to return to the States for 2 months. So in the meantime, Joyce and Molly are pinch hitting and doing an awesome job!!! Below is their post to us with my thoughts in red:

Hello Maureen & Jeff, It’s great to be able to write you and share with you a little bit about how Sonise, Chalinda and Neissa are doing here at the Toddler House. The girls are doing well and are up to their normal crazy antics. Sonise is Doing very well and her attitude seems happy for the moment. Chalinda is Trying to get away with things that she knows she isn’t allowed to be doing And Neissa has recently discovered that spitting on the kids below from her Perch on the play house is awesome fun. So things are fairly “normal” Around here.


The girls received their Easter packages and enjoyed opening them together. Chalinda picked her’s up and announced to everyone “Oh this present makes me Happy,” Sonise quietly opened hers and really seemed excited about the pens And Neissa opened her gift and told me that she wouldn’t write in her book This time and that her pens would not be used to write on the walls. It was Nice that she could lecture herself and I just got to agree with her rules. Chalinda really liked the fact that there were giant pencils in Pennsylvania and in Haiti. It was enough to quiet her down to think about The giant pencil for almost three whole minutes. Chalinda had won a giant pencil playing BINGO at Sonise's birthday party while I was visiting. She did not want it. She thought it was stupid. Don't you know a week after I got home, Aaron bought one at the school store! He absolutely loved it. So I took a picture of him with it and sent it along in her package. I asked Sonise what she thought about her gift and she grinned and said that she really enjoyed is And thought it was nice of her family to send her letters.










I then told the Girls that I was going to write an update to you guys and asked them each if There was anything that they would like to tell them. I started with Neissa And this is what she came up with. (the questions were in English but she Said all of this back in Creole) Neissa – “I think that dad looks more like Me but mom looks a lot like Chalinda and Sonise. When I get home I will tell My mom that she can watch TV with me and I will share my toys with all my Sisters but I don’t think the boys will want my toys but they can have some If they want.”
Aaron wants to write and tell her that he will play with her toys. He likes girl toys!
I then asked Chalinda if she had anything to say and she Wanted you to know that we had a team here this week and had a lot of fun And Vacation Bible School is soon. She also said “thank you” for the package And that she misses you guys very much. Chalinda says she can’t wait to go Home and hopes she can work out with dad and cook and wash dishes with mom.
I honestly think the wait is the hardest on Chalinda. I think she thinks I normally wash dishes because I always did that after meals at the Toddler House.
Sonise seemed the most interested in asking questions about you guys and Became very excited the more and more she began to talk about you all. This Is the first time I have seen this in Sonise and it was a pure excitement And joy that she felt when talking about you. The package really seemed to Mean a lot to her and she was genuinely thankful for the thought that was Put in the package for her. One of the first things she said was that she Wanted to write back to her family. Sonise asked if all the family was doing Well and if Jesus was protecting them. Things her brothers and sisters are learning in school right now and if they Are having fun. She asked about great grandma and if she was feeling healthy And doing well and also if all the cats and dogs are doing well. She said She was excited about moving to the U.S. And she wants to learn to play Basketball with dad and go on runs with him each day. She said she wants to Be able to sit with mom and chat to her and tell her about different things.
This of course brings tears to my eyes! I am so worried about Sonise being a teeanger and trying fit in here. She is so hesitant to use her English and she is so far behind academically...
She asked specifically about my grandmother because Sonise is learning how to crochet and I told her that my grandmother knows how to crochet.
The girls are doing well in school and I have seen some good improvements With Sonise since Amanda has been working with her. Sonise is much more Willing to try using her English is isn’t afraid to mess up when it is just The two of them. Sonise really looks up to Amanda and enjoys having her as a Friend. Amanda does a great job with her and has lots of patience.
Neissa Has gotten used to being in Creole class all morning and is behaving much Better. She is still having a hard time staying in her seat and likes to wander around more than the teacher allows.
Chalinda is pushing quite a bit This month and has been in trouble quite a few times. She has been lectured By Gwo manman translated "Big Mama" (her nanny) several times in the last two weeks. Chalinda is Teaming up with twelve year old Ilienne and ganging up on Rose Michelle or Odeleine.
Gregory read this and deemed Chalinda "badder" than he and Evan, which is saying something because they are on a misbehaving streak!
Chalinda and Sonise are really excited about vacation bible school which is happening in two weeks and Neissa is right there with them celebrating even though she can’t remember very well what she is celebrating. Chalinda is more excited than anyone here at the house and asks daily if they are still Planning on coming.
A team from my uncle’s church in Florida was here this week and it was a full and busy week of fun. The team brought down new tricycles, balls and dolls for the children. They also brought down party supplies and we had a party Wednesday night that was a lot of fun. The night started off with instruments and dancing and singing and moved on to glow sticks, silly string, party poppers and super jumbo pixy sticks that were almost as long as some of the smaller toddlers. The girls had a great night and Neissa especially seemed to enjoy the candy. Chalinda got halfway through her pixy stick and decided she didn’t like it however she still seemed to finish off the rest of it.

No comments: